Friday, March 19, 2010

Doctor appointment update

I didn't post about last week's doctor appointment because it was a little disappointing... unfortunately this week was not much better. I'm starting to get a little concerned!

I am hoping to avoid any interventions and pain medications for my delivery. I am realistic- I read about my options so that if I change my mind when the time comes I know what is available, the risks and procedures, etc. I also know about all of the interventions, when they are necessary, alternatives, risks and procedures, etc. I will not be disappointed with myself if I end up deciding to get an epidural, or will not be devastated if I need a c-section for the baby's or my own safety. That said, if everything is going well with my labor and delivery and there are no issues, I do not want unnecessary doses of pitocin to speed things up, I would like to be free to move around during labor and not be attached to monitors, I'm fine with an IV port being set up in case it is needed, but I'd like to hydrate by drinking fluids, you get the idea. My doctors either don't see a reason to avoid unnecessary medical procedures, or don't expect my labor to go without complications. Last week and this week the two different doctors both told me that my requests are not in line with their standard procedures, and that they don't do things that way. I have not been in the mood to argue my position, so I just let it go for the time being... but I am really hoping I get the one doctor I've seen so far who actually encouraged me to attempt the birth plan I have in mind!! It's a 1/6 chance of getting him I guess, and a 1/3 chance of getting one of the two doctors who rolled their eyes at my questions about doing things my way (I haven't seen the other 3 of the 6 doctors so I'm not sure where they stand).

I know a lot of people (especially those who don't research things as much as I do) would think I am crazy to act like I can read and decide what is best for my baby's birth over what a doctor says, but I am starting to realize that doctors really do think most about what is best for THEM and not Me. What concerns me more, though, is that lately I don't feel like my doctors really even think about me as a unique patient... I think they just think that every patient is the same, and they will treat every one the same and all will get pitocin and epidurals and pitocin again after the delivery, the whole time while on IV fluids and constant monitoring while being confined to the hospital bed, and then their job will be done. They don't care about my wishes to do things as naturally as possible, or my own satisfaction with my birth experience. All they care about is that I and the baby are healthy- which is good, but I think they should also care about me being comfortable and happy with the birth experience. It's not like I'm just saying I want things this way because they sound good- I've done a ton of research, we're taking all of the classes, and I've really thought a lot about why I want things to go the way I do. Maybe I would still value the doctors' opinions over what I have learned if I trusted them more- but today I went in and the doctor did not even know how far along I was. She didn't know my due date. My chart was not correct. My test results from last week had still not been printed and put in my chart. And she would not have even realized any of this if I had not brought up that things she was saying were incorrect for how pregnant I was, and that I should have gotten my test results. The week before, the doctor asked me how big my first baby was at birth (this is my first baby). Its like they don't even bother looking at my chart... why would I trust them to decide what is best for me when they don't have a clue about my pregnancy!

Anyway- I just needed to vent. I am annoyed at how I've been treated at my doctor's lately, but I am not worried about how my labor and delivery will go. I know what I want, and I will probably have to speak up for myself to get it, but I am happy to be well informed so that no matter what happens I will know that I am choosing what is best for my baby and myself. I just hope that the doctor-situation ends up being less frustrating than I am now expecting!!

1 comment:

  1. you seem willing to accept what's best for you and baby medically, so i think it's great to go in with goals and desires to get you to the end result in the way you envision.

    i wanted natural, no pitocin, no epi. since my water broke and i was early, i needed pitocin and after 15 hours, i got the epi. but first i walked around, labored on the ball, etc. and wasn't forced to do almost anything else. i hope this for you!

    stand your ground and have your support system help to inform dr.s and nurses (who will, honeslty, see you more than any dr.) of your wishes. so frustrating that no one seems to treat or know YOU. your feelings are valid and you have every right to vent!

    ReplyDelete