Sunday, August 9, 2009

My Mom Knows!! :)

I have been going back and forth on whether to tell my mom or wait. I would've told her the second I saw her, but since she's been in Utah and I am in Pennsylvania, that did not happen. I thought about waiting for her to go back to Florida and going down there to tell, but it is such an unnecessary cost- probably about the same as a crib, or at least a car seat or travel system!
Anyway- I accepted the fact that I would not be able to tell her in person, and decided to do it over the phone. The next decision was when. I would love to have her support if anything happened, but she has so much going on that she is dealing with that I would not want to add more to her plate, so I thought about waiting until we know everything is OK. Then when I was talking to her and hearing her sound sad and stressed about everything, I realized it would cheer her up to know, and decided to do it asap. Here's how:

I told her to call when she was on her computer because I found something on the internet that would really cheer her up. She called when she was on her computer, and I told her I was looking for the link, but was sending a picture of DH and I from a wedding I was in last weekend. I hear her open the e-mail and comment, "That's weird, usually pictures just open in the e-mail." She opens the attachment and she sees the picture and says, "Oh wow, what a beautiful picture! You guys look so nice!!" and then silence.

I had used the whole Mastercard theme to tell her. You know the one (imagine something like this, on the side of the picture)...

Dress for Sara's wedding...................$200
Wine rack for gift............................... $150
Hotel in DC .......................................... $99
First picture of the three of us...Priceless!
(I'll post the actual "announcement" once we come out to the rest of the family)

Anyway- after a few seconds of silence, I asked if she had read it. She seemed stunned and then started yelling my name, and asking if it was for real. I could tell she was absolutely terrified it was a joke. I told her it was for real and she sounded happier than she has in a long time. It was great :)
We spent a while talking about her pregnancies and she reassured me about a lot of things. I'm excited now to be able to call and talk to her about being pregnant and go to her with any questions I have. I am so happy that I decided to tell early!!! It was so much fun to tell someone too- now it's going to be even harder to keep the secret...
I'm hoping we get a web cam in time to tell my MIL, because I think her reaction will be youtube worthy. If it is anything like her reaction to our engagement it will definitely be amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment